www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from janipoo. Make your own badge here.
 
Janice the World Traveler
My Mom was has never been one to cool her heels for long. She has made it a regular part of her life to travel, often only on short day trips, and experience life to the fullest. There were always excursions with different groups who seemed to travel well together....the bridge club one time, next time the group of old high school buddies. With little kids, it was hard to do much of an extended trip to anywhere. I distinctly remember our trip to Atlanta and Stone Mountain when I rode for 8 hours in the backseat between two wiggly little brothers. I stayed in the hotel room during the sight seeing just to get some peace! If I remember correctly, that was our last Chevy Chase vacation ;)

She and Daddy took a lot of weekend trips together as we got older and out of the "they'll tear the house down while we're gone" phase. One weekend when they were gone to a University of Tennessee football game, I sneaked INTO the house and threw a party. My friends helped me clean up all nice and neat and I actually thought I was home free...UNTIL. Mom started finding hidden evidence under the furniture during the next week. Busted again! ( I never said I was real smart about being mischievous.) After we all flew the coop they began a series of relaxing weekend visits with their couple friends to the White River in Arkansas. I do believe that those are the funnest times they've had together.

Two of Mom's solo trips stand out in my mind. Former astronaut Don Peterson is the brother-in-law of one of her closest friends. She went with friend and hubby to see him blast into space as a crew member on the Challenger in 1983. His signed picture still hangs on the wall! Much much later, she began saving her nickels and dimes and quarters for a trip to Europe with her gal pals. She was a basket case before they left, but they had a ball! My favorite piece of memorabilia is a hand painted bone china dish from England which holds my jewelry. Hmm...as a matter of fact, my keychain still has the "Hard Rock Cafe, Paris" on it too :)

She and the high school buds have a standing engagement for a few days every spring and fall at nearby Lake Barkley. They carpool from various locations, bring food and spend a few days catching up on each other lives...with a good dose of talking about old memories. Very soon, she and Daddy will be flying to Virginia for their first visit to my brother's new home.

That Janice! She's always had the wanderlust for new places and things. Perhaps she realizes the value of getting away to help clear the mind and appreciate home.
<
Powered by Blogger
Design by CyberVassals