www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from janipoo. Make your own badge here.
 
Roots
My old friend Laura used to make fun of her Canada to Tenneessee transplanted neighbors because they dug stuff up in the yard and moved it around. Evidently they knew the joys of perennials as I do. Since last night's rain softened up the dirt, I took the opportunity today to dig up some multiplied treasures and fill in the empty spots. I've bought a few perennials in my time, but most of them are gifts from other people's yards.

There's the purple coneflower from Sally. Day lilies from my Daddy, plus a lot of other things I don't even know the names of. A perennial salvia from my aunt and uncle's yard..lamb's ear from Stacey's house. Riverbed and roadside ferns plus hostas divided X infinity.

My few purchases have included a butterfly bush collection and some stargazer lilies. They continue to delight me each and every growing season. In fact, I host the "Stargazer Lily Festival" in late June if weather permits and I'm in a good mood. Time will tell.

Suzanne gave me four'oclock sprouts and Mamye and Mitzi contribute moonflower seeds every year. Mrs. Council's legacy to me is hydrangea, peony, tiger lily and others too numerous to list. Whenever there's a funeral and some thoughtful soul sends a mum, into the ground it goes.

I'm not much on roses unless they're delivered to me with a love note. I have one pink rose bush that appeared out of nowhere some time ago in a shady spot. It thrives since I've moved it into the sunny bed.

There is a row of three miracle fruit trees that survived from 10 I bought as sticks from the Arbor Day Foundation for a buck apiece. Pink ladies aka surprise lilies from somebody sometime or another. A hollyhock that will do it's thing this year. What a tease they are with the every other year business.

Being a poor gal and all I think perennials kick annuals' asses easily. A few pots and a vinca here and there and VOILA. Low maintenance, just like old Poopie.

I'm growing that idea, ya hear?

Coming soon to a yard near you....bachelor's buttons, black eyed susans, coreopsis and autumn clematis.

Wish I had the camera, but you get the picture. If I ever leave here it'll take a large truck to carry my transplants to the new home.
<
Powered by Blogger
Design by CyberVassals