www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from janipoo. Make your own badge here.
 
I feel the EARTH MOVE under my feet!
That ain't just a Carole King tune today along the New Madrid fault. I was at work still trying to wake up to the day when this little 4.0 quake rocked my world. Better than a double cappucino to get the adrenaline going!

Six am is usually a quiet time around our workplace while we concentrate on the monumental task at hand. Two other co-workers and I were silently going about our business when the building started to shake and there was a loud BOOM. More shaking. Another boom. It was over in 10 seconds. My first thought was that a large vehicle had run into the building....or that it was my first earthquake of any size. Bingo. We immediately got calls from the upper floors asking if we felt "it". Ayep. Sure did, and we're appropriately freaked out!

The epicenter was about 8 miles north of town where the trembling lasted another 30 seconds after the big stuff. Research quickly showed that it had been only a month since a quake of comparable size hit an Arkansas town on the other side of the Mississippi. They've been telling us since 1812 when Reelfoot Lake was formed that we're due for another big one. Yikes!!!

Nothing else in my day could top that all-shook-up feeling...not even having my keys locked in the car.

Word to the wise: If you like stories about folks named Poopie, check out Paul's work at Writing From the Hip . The man can tell a mean tale :)
<
Powered by Blogger
Design by CyberVassals