www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from janipoo. Make your own badge here.
 
the end of an era
I don't get out much, and I like it that way. Last night was a special occasion though and I put on my overalls and headed on up to the place Idgie refers to as "that bar with the kudzu". For twenty two years, Gene has owned and operated the watering hole known as Sap's Place in South Dyersburg. There was a brief stint when it was called "Buttercup's" in honor of his wife MaryBeth, but that didn't go over well as the name of a place mostly populated by pick-up truck driving domino players. So, Sap's it was, until yesterday when the new owners took over.

The regulars gathered to pay homage to a couple who have been a part of our lives for as long as we can remember. There was food and cards and memories spread across the bar as we remembered the good and the bad times that we've all been through. Two of my best friends in the world, who are frequent commenters here ( Redneck Friend and Amy Claire ;) were there for the occasion. We sang the world's most famous country western song in our best twangy voices to commemorate the occasion. Life doesn't get much better than that for country gals.

YOU NEVER EVEN CALL ME BY MY NAME
(Steve Goodman)
« © '71 Jrisdad Music, ASCAP »

It was all that I could do to keep from crying
Sometimes it seems so useless to remain
But you don't have to call me darling darling
You never even call me by my name

You don't have to call me Waylon Jennings
And you don't have to call me Charlie Pride
And you don't have to call me Merle Haggard anymore
Even though your on my fightin' side

So I'll hang around as long as you will let me ( let me, let me let me!)
And I never minded standing in the rain
No you don't have to call me darling darling
You never even call me by my name

Well I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison
And I went to pick her up in the rain
But before I could get to the station in my pickup truck
She got runned over by a damned old train

So I'll hang around as long as you will let me
And I never minded standing in the rain
No you don't have to call me darling darling
You never even call me I wonder why you don't call me
Why don't you ever call me by my name by my name
**********


There's another thing or two on my mind...like which way I-69 is going to cross the county. Public hearings are coming up week after next, and you can bet the farm that I'll be there to see what's up. I might even stomp my little redneck feet if I don't like what I hear. Like Kyle and his upcoming visit to Cleveland Clinic.



Y'all keep the faith, ya hear?
<
Powered by Blogger
Design by CyberVassals