www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from janipoo. Make your own badge here.
 
flashback

Back in the day, when I was a wee child in high school and learning to be Poopie, we had this thing put on by the journalism club called Stunt Night. Quill and Scroll was one of those artsy wannabe kind of clubs that you could join if were so inclined, and that club hosted the event. I still have my little pin somewhere deep in the recesses of the attic.

Most of the skits centered around making fun of the principal or certain teachers or an event that was making the news during that time. My debut into the world of drama was as Janis Joplin on the stage at Dyersburg High School. The dress was a vintage rumpled velvet granny type thing that I borrowed from a friend, and paired with bare feet and tinted granny glasses it fit the bill to transport me from small town girl to rock star.

My old buddy Mark was the emcee of the thing, and continues to this day to be the master of ceremonies for our class reunions. Our next will be 35 if somebody gets it together. It's funny how I can't remember what I had for lunch today, but I can still visualize myself stepping onto that wooden stage all decked out as my alter ego and belting out Mercedes Benz, foot tappin' and everything. I still remember every word to that song.

Janis and Hendrix and Led Zeppelin and the Allman Brothers...oh my. Elton and JT and Pure Prarie League. So much of my life is defined by the music that I have cherished over the years, and continue to enjoy. Since this was all post-Elvis paranoia, most anything went. One of my favorite concerts ever was Linda Ronstandt in a all her peasant bloused glory.

Am I the only one who ever thinks about this stuff?

Mercedes Benz

Oh Lord, won’t you buy me a Mercedes Benz ?
My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends.
Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends,
So Lord, won’t you buy me a Mercedes Benz ?

Oh Lord, won’t you buy me a color TV ?
Dialing For Dollars is trying to find me.
I wait for delivery each day until three,
So oh Lord, won’t you buy me a color TV ?

Oh Lord, won’t you buy me a night on the town ?
I’m counting on you, Lord, please don’t let me down.
Prove that you love me and buy the next round,
Oh Lord, won’t you buy me a night on the town ?

Everybody!
Oh Lord, won’t you buy me a Mercedes Benz ?
My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends,
Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends,
So oh Lord, won’t you buy me a Mercedes Benz ?

That’s it!


<
Powered by Blogger
Design by CyberVassals